In the present era, where almost everything is digitalized, e-learning is fast approaching, in-trending, and spreading like wildfire among educational organizations and the corporate world. The online Learning Management System, also known as LMS, is a fast-growing concept among administrators, executives, learners, and enterprises. Video-learning is a core part of digital learning programs. Moodle and Moodle alternatives are a group of such LMS application programs that serve your e-learning needs.
What is Moodle?
Moodle is one of the widely popular open-source learning management systems that provides a free, simple, robust learning platform. This LMS is mostly used for K12 (aka kindergarten to 12th grade), higher education, and employee training worldwide. Nevertheless, Moodle runs on highly secured encrypted servers and has become the most used learning management system in the world.
- Install Moodle on your device and run it for free. But, you can donate to support their work through their official website.
- Try the Moodle Cloud and subscribe to one of the most suitable packages-
- Starter Plan- Ideal for a single class, the plan is available at $80/year.
- Mini Plan- Upto maximum 100 users, you can buy maximum file storage of 200MB along with other features at $250/year.
- Small plan- Buy it at $500/year and take multiple classes for up to 200 users.
- Medium Plan- Available at $1000/year, you can take numerous courses up to 500 users at a time with a file storage capacity of up to 1GB.
- Find a suitable Moodle Partner and set up your e-learning platform.
Why Do You Need Alternatives to Moodle?
One of the primary reasons you would require exploring the Moodle alternatives is Moodle’s lack of customizing GUI features. Also, the program is not the best-fit measure to navigate for newbies. Keeping an open mind, let us learn about Moodle alternatives and choose the one that fits your unique needs.
Here Are 15 Moodle Alternatives (Free) for Online Education and Training:
1. Google Classroom
The best Moodle alternative, Google Classroom, is an excellent learning app for educators by Google. The app acts as a dedicated education tool for learners and organizations to impart education through assignments, classes, interactive communication, and feedback. You can try this Moodle alternative today without a second thought.
Google Classroom Features:
- Simplified teaching and learning by sharing a code and setting up a class in minutes.
- Integrated tools, such as original reports, consistent grading, and updated FAQs based on recently answered feedback.
- Face-to-face connections using Meet built into the classrooms.
- Stringent security measures to restrict classroom activity to class members only.
- Integrated with other educator-approved applications.
- Also has a mobile interface, compatible with iOS and Android devices.
Google Classroom Pricing:
It is free for all its users.
Another alternative to Moodle, Canvas is an LMS with flexible and customizable architecture and design. The app allows users, i.e., both the learners and educators, to collaborate and communicate efficiently, thus, enhancing the whole learning process.
- Collaborative workspace
- Allows students to record audios and videos
- Canvas also offers web conferencing tools
- It encourages VET (Vocational Education & Training) organizations to adopt e-learning.
- Canvas integrates all the K-12 apps for better scalability and an intuitive learning experience.
- You can also try the free version creating a free account, and enjoying a free live demo to understand how Canvas works.
Pay an annual subscription fee along with a one-time implementation fee based upon the number of users. You can fetch a quote upon contacting Canvas Support.
Known as the Moodle competitor in the online LMS industry, Docebo is the top cloud-based e-learning service provider to achieve operational efficiency with AI superpowers. It is designed to help businesses improve the learning experience of their partners, customers, and employees.
- Fully integrated, scalable, and mobile-compatible interface
- Extendable and robust LMS
- Docebo also offers you to activate an ECS, i.e., Enterprise Cloud Solution app.
- Docebo also provides asynchronous and blending learning.
- Provides classroom and certification management.
Get a custom quote and set up your learning platform in three months with Docebo.
Among the fifteen Moodle alternatives, Bridge is the one cloud-based LMS software that offers plenty of authoring tools, career planning options, and assessment tools—looking for a platform that helps you create training materials for several job positions? Bridge LMS is one of the best solutions.
- It has a mobile-compatible interface, as well.
- Bridge offers quite a few extensive features, including custom learning paths, evaluating participants’ progress, and measuring the different courses’ effectiveness.
- It includes more comprehensive language support.
You can subscribe to the best of learning and performance at $9/month per user. You get all of the Learning Plan’s features and additional features, such as Performance Analytics, Organizational Chart and Directory, etc.
One of the end-to-end Moodle alternatives, Mindflash, is famous as an enterprise solution for international organizations for employee training programs. The app offers instructor-led live courses support, offering an enriching experience of organizing real-time seminars and training sessions.
- Mobile-responsive, flexible, and customizable.
- Multi-language support.
- Mindflash offers options for White-labeling and user management.
- It also supports editing during live classes.
There is a Standard, Premium, and Enterprise plan with extensive ranges of facilities at quoted prices.
6. SAP Litmos
One of the most reliable Moodle competitors in 2020, SAP Litmos, is a corporate LMS, in partnership with Salesforce, for secure data exchange and service training of employees.
SAP Litmos Features:
- Simple and easy-to-use platform
- No expensive installations or training are required for use.
- Hassle-free system admin dashboard.
- It offers white labeling and custom branding.
- Multi-language and localization support.
- Embedded content creation feature
- Enjoy the 14 days free trial.
SAP Litmos Pricing:
You can request a quote depending on whether you are looking forward to a simple LMS feature or LMS plus training courses. You can explore the pricing options here.
7. Absorb LMS
With thousands of in-built, pre-configured courses, Absorb LMS is an easy, learner-friendly LMS wherein you can customize the learning platform according to the learners’ requirements.
Absorb LMS Features:
- You have access to more than 1500 courses and message templates.
- You can manipulate the dashboard, i.e., FAQs, Featured Courses, News Articles, etc., along with the whole learning experience.
- The software allows learners to view the content as they want.
- Absorb LMS has several exciting features, such as Analytics & Reporting, Machine learning, Learner Engagement, Smart Engagement, eCommerce, Content library, e-signature, etc.
- It is mobile-responsive as well.
Absorb LMS Pricing:
Try the demo. If satisfied, get a quote by contacting them through the website.
Among the listed alternatives to Moodle, Edmodo is a global education network application with advanced features. Being an educational technology-oriented LMS, Edmodo offers an integrated, user-friendly platform that allows collaboration and effective communication.
- You can sign up for free and explore the application on your own.
- Edmodo provides integration of classroom management, LMS management, and message synchronization.
- It also offers the advanced functions of white-labeling, file sharing, collaborative learning, and gamification.
- Additional features include visualization, analytics, and dashboard.
It is free to use. Create a free account now.
Coassemble, is a popular Moodle alternative. Nevertheless, it is a learner-based online learning management system that offers in-built templates along with drag-and-drop elements. Its mobile adaptability allows users to create and update courses on the go, anywhere and anytime. It only requires a stable internet connection.
- The UX-driven platform is easy to handle for all types of learners- novices or experts.
- Coassemble also offers accurate data and granular reports to help you filter and refine your courses.
- Highly scalable
- Frequently updated software and price-efficient with online content creation.
As a growing business, you can buy an unlimited plan at $299/month and enjoy the advanced features capturing business knowledge and sharing it in real-time with your team members.
Schoology supports all types of blended learning and 100% course learning. The Moodle alternative offers 200+ educational tools and comes pre-integrated with learning platforms and databases that you need for distance learning.
- It is focused on K-12 learning and excellence.
- Integrated learning platform for teachers, students, parents, administrators, and coaches.
- Schoology offers the primary facilities of cloud learning and mobile compatibility.
- 200+ integrated educational online apps.
- The platform is well-equipped for collaborative learning, gamification, video conferencing, grading, white-labeling, and file-sharing.
- Unique dashboard with analytics and reporting management.
It has a free plan for individual teachers and a paid Enterprise plan for educational organizations. Get your custom quote today.
11. Tovuti LMS
A next-generation LMS application, Tovuti LMS, is a Moodle alternative for expiring online learning.
Tovuti LMS Features:
- Coaching support for all new clients and tutorial library.
- Tovuti LMS offers admin-supportive facilities of creating a report, tracking learners’ progress, using a KPI dashboard to glance at a summarized on-goings of your business.
- Open API and Single Sign-On (SAML & OAuth 2.0) capabilities.
- Gamification, eCommerce, White labeling, automated event management, interactive content management, and notification alerts.
Tovuti LMS Pricing:
Enjoy the premium Pro plan, which contains all Core plan features and additional functionalities of virtual meetings, Zapier & API, Single Sign-On, and many more. You can also opt for the optional plan.
NEO LMS is an award-winning LMS relied upon by many universities and schools. It offers classroom management along with the essential tools required for collaborative student-teacher interaction.
NEO LMS Features:
- It has an intuitive UI with a responsive design, smart dashboard, real-time widgets, and a simple-to-use navigator platform.
- 24×7 online helpline center.
- The application supports different kinds of teaching styles- blended, self-paced, micro, and instructor-led.
- It also offers 15 assignment types, viz. essays, discussions, attendance, SCORM, etc.
- Advanced features of tracking the student performance, bidirectional email integration, and many more.
NEO LMS Pricing
It has a free plan as well as a Premium plan for schools and universities.
A comprehensive, cost-effective alternative to Moodle, SkyPrep is another award-winning LMS program that offers robust authoring, distribution, grading, and learner progress- tracking, all with an intuitive UI.
- Flexible course distribution option
- Automated grading
- Real-time reporting
- SkyPrep offers domain and IP restrictions with stringent security controls.
Enjoy the 14-days free trial or buy the Premium plan at $499/month with enhanced gamification features, multi-platform hierarchy, and many more, including all Core features.
14. Blackboard Learn
An advanced, responsive, reliable platform for offering a rich e-learning experience, Blackboard Learn is a genuine Moodle alternative. You should give it a try.
Blackboard Learn Features:
- Scalable, flexible, modern, intuitive, and responsive interface
- Blackboard Learn offers the learning management functionalities of authoring, assessments, collaborative learning, content library, grading, and white-labeling.
- It also provides a content delivery and tracking mechanism.
Blackboard Learn Pricing:
You have to contact them to get your quoted price.
A customizable, cloud-based LMS, TalentLMS is an e-learning alternative to Moodle. You can create courses easily with its in-built, pre-configured templates, or using old videos, presentations, or using online materials directly from the integrated online apps.
- It supports SCORM, TinCan (xAPI), notifications, extensible user profiles, etc.
- The software offers exam engines feature assessment and evaluation.
- The program is best suitable for employee orientation.
The most popular plan for up to 500 users is the Plus plan, available at $249/month, which includes all the Basic plan features and advanced options for automation, custom reports, SSL for your custom domain, and many more.
- Photoshop Alternatives
- PicMonkey Alternatives
- FreeNAS Alternatives
- TeamViewer Alternatives
- Scrivener Alternatives
If not Moodle, you can try any of the 15 alternatives to Moodle listed above. Experience all-new, comfortable learning from your home. Some offer a free trial or lifetime free version. The rest offer a free live demo to make you understand how the app works. So, now you can choose the best Moodle LMS alternative that fits your needs with ease.
Have any questions or suggestions? Please share your comments below.