Some edit photos for the heck of it while the rest use Photoshop as a part of their professional virtue. For the former, buying the Photoshop software can be pretty much gruesome. It is best to look for reliable and free Photoshop alternatives for computers or mobile devices. Professionals, however, need the best in terms of quality as well as industry-standard. They, therefore, look for the topmost Photoshop alternatives in the market.
Check Out the 15 Photoshop Alternatives (Free) for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Web:
1. Canva (Web, Free)
Canva is one of the recently launched free Photoshop alternatives that has gathered much attention owing to its superb image editing features, delightful designing elements, and simplicity.
Features of Canva
- Lifetime free with lots of resources
- Designing- Has a plethora of layouts, fonts, and stock photographs, all to help you design.
- Minimal time- You can design an invitation card, a birthday card, a business card, or maybe a blog image within no time.
- Social Media Marketing & Brand building- It offers tools to help you and your enterprise with marketing and branding.
Canva Pricing Plans
- Free– It has 250,000+ free templates, 100+ design types, 1000+ graphics, along with free 5GB cloud storage.
- Pro– Available at $12.95/month for up to 5 persons, the plan offers 420,000+ templates, 75+ million premium stock of photos, videos, etc., and 100GB cloud storage.
- Enterprise: You can buy this plan at $30.00/month/person wherein you get additional benefits of team access and uploading features, unlimited storage facilities, 24X7 enterprise-level support, and Single-Sign-On (SSO) features.
2. Apple Photos (iOS, Free)
Just like Google Photos, you have Apple Photos, the best Photoshop alternative for Mac users. Exclusively developed for iOS devices (iPhone/iPad), the software lets you edit and share your picture-perfect moments.
Features of Apple Photos
- Straightforward editing, fine-tuning, and sharing
- Years and months highlight: The app helps you relive your past moments captured on your Apple devices.
- Intelligent Curation: The artificial intelligence of Photoshop alternative helps to remove redundant pictures and automatically curates by removing screenshots and receipts. It enhances your photography viewing experience. Also, AI generates better previews.
- Memories: The library enables you to find and locate specific pictures quickly.
- Intelligent search suggestion
- A smart suggestion for your most shareable pictures
- Direct sharing to your Messages: The AI determines whom you are texting messages to and may suggest sharing specific pictures from the Apple Photos cloud.
Apple Photos Pricing Plans
You will find the Apple Photos app on every iOS device you buy. Initially, you get a 5GB cloud storage. If you need more, you have to upgrade your plan from your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC. You can buy the following storage capacity or upgrade to the Family Sharing plan to share the 2TB plan with your family. Look at the monthly pricing plans:
- Get 50GB cloud space at $0.99.
- 200 GB cloud storage at $2.99.
- 2TB storage at $9.99
3. GIMP (Linux, Windows & Mac, Free)
If you are looking for a free Photoshop alternative for Linux, Windows, or Mac, GIMP is the best option. It’s a popular software developed for image-editing, graphic designing, illustration works, and many more.
GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) is an open-source program. Best suitable for beginners who don’t need the advanced level photo editing app,
Features of GIMP
- Library of Plugins
- High-quality photo manipulation
- Original artwork creation that lets professional designers and artists add a touch of realism to their works.
- Color Management feature: The app also helps in high-fidelity color reproduction across the digital print. It lets you work on apps such as Scribus, Inkscape, and SwatchBooker.
- Multiple add-on features that are downloadable to help you.
- GIMP offers layers of masks and various filters for editing.
- It supports many file formats. This feature enables you to be flexible with the majority of works.
GIMP Pricing Plans
- GIMP is a free open-source Photoshop alternative.
4. Pixelmator (Mac-supportive, Paid)
Pixelmator is one of the top-rated Photoshop alternatives for Mac users only. Similar to Adobe Photoshop, the app can help you with an existing picture or create something from scratch using the various advanced features.
Features of Pixelmator
- Comfortable typing in various shapes- on a circle, path, etc.
- Canvas rotation to any angle
- The welcome screen enables you to open images and create one easily.
- The latest version supports RAW images- edit multiple photos as layers in a single document.
- Easily create layouts with the Arrange Tool
- Dynamic painting with the help of Metal 2 graphics technology and Dynamic Paint Blending technology.
- The software supports real-time, blockbuster effects.
- It has a free trial of 30 days.
Pixelmator Pricing Plans
- You can buy the latest version, Pixelmator Pro (rated 4.8 on App Store) at $39.99.
5. Acorn (Mac-based, Paid)
If you are looking for the perfect Photoshop alternative for MacOS 10.11 and later, Acorn may be the best option for image-editing. It can also work with RAW images and is suitable for both beginners and Pro.
Features of Acorn 6
- Add text on different shapes by using Acorn’s shape tools.
- Smart layer export from 1x to 5x.
- Enhanced clone tools to clone layers, shapes, groups, and images.
- Improvised web export window enables you to zoom, scale, convert color profile, and remove/retain image metadata.
- Has multiple layer styles, effects, filters, and powerful image capabilities
- Sharing and file support
- Acorn 6 has various tools such as customizable stamps, clones, live gradients, drag-and-drop, color picker, etc.
Acorn 6 Pricing Plans
- Rated 4.6 on the App Store, you can buy Acorn 6 at $29.99.
6. Darkatable (Windows, Mac, & Linux, Free)
Darkatable is an open-source photo editing program that acts as a free Photoshop alternative to develop raw images and enhance them like a pro. It has a user-friendly low-key interface and lets you manage and view digital negatives through a zoomable lighttable.
Features of Darkatable
- Professional Color Management: Instant correcting colors, applying filters, adjusting brightness, and contrast.
- GPU accelerated image processing: Helps in run-time detection with its OpenCL support.
- Filtering & Sorting
- Zoomable, Zero-latency UI
- Tethered shooting- Helps in-camera instrumentation
- Language support- Supports 21 languages
- Powerful export system
- Fast Database
Darkatable Pricing Plans
- Darkatable, Photoshop alternative, is freely available for including Window, Mac, Linux, Debian, Solaris, FreeBSD, and many more.
7. Paint.NET (Windows, Free)
Originally a replacement for Windows Paint, Paint.NET is a free Photoshop alternative for Windows users with basic image editing features. It is easy and perfectly suitable for beginners to edit photos using various in-built tools.
Features of Paint.NET
- Intuitive and innovative UI
- Supports layers, special effects, unlimited undo, etc.
- Paint.NET offers tutorials for beginners.
- Provides plugins
- Known to be one of the swiftest image editors available in the industry with quick response time and fast core processor-support.
- Free and automated updates.
Paint.NET Pricing Plans
- Paint.NET doesn’t cost a dime! It’s a free Photoshop alternative for beginners.
8. Pixlr (Web, Free)
One of the famous and unique solutions to photo editing, Pixlr is the perfect FREE alternative to Photoshop that allows you to design images using your web browsers like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox without installing any software. Pixlr is similar to Canva.
Features of Pixlr
- Smarter tools– The app offers many tools for essential as well as intelligent adjustments such as cutting out a strand of hair without much effort.
- Faster editing time giving an aesthetic photo effect
- You can enjoy more accessible content creation from the well-equipped library of graphics, stickers, decorative texts, etc.
- It offers two varieties- the playful Pixlr X and the advanced Pixlr E. At the same time, the former allows basic editing features; the latter enables advanced and detailed image-editing tools and resources.
Pixlr Pricing Plans
- Free: The free version lets you access both Pixlr X and E with limited sets of overlays, stickers, and editing tools. Also, the free version of Pixlr shows annoying ads.
- Premium: Available at $7.99/month and if you switch to the yearly subscription you can purchase Pixlr at $4.99/month enjoying extensive features. The Premium version of Pixlr is ad-free.
- Creative Pack: You can buy the pack at $29.99/month or enjoy a 50% discount by paying yearly at $14.99/month. Enjoy free access to the stock of graphics, AI CutOut, 24×7 premium support, etc.
9. Photopea (Web, Free)
One of the best free replacement to Photoshop, Photopea supports a wide range of file formats. It aims at providing the most advanced and affordable photo-editing options. You don’t need to install Photopea on your PC or smartphone to use it. Just use your web browser to start using this web-based advanced image editing software.
Features of Photopea
- Supports PSD, XCF, Sketch, XD, and CDR formats
- Export- Saves work as PSD, JPG, PNG, or SVG files.
- Supports necessary adjustments, making selections, and layer editing in minimum time.
- Photopea has various tools- brush tools, smart, and advanced tools for editing.
- Also supports text style, animations, raster, and vector graphics.
- The free version supports ads.
- Photopea requires a stable internet connection.
- No download or installation required.
Photopea Pricing Plans
- Photopea is available for free to use and that’s what makes it the best Photoshop alternative.
10. Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 (OS X and Windows, Paid)
The newly improvised Photoshop replacement is Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021, an intelligent editing solution to bring life to your photos. It uses the Adobe Sensei AI technology to sort your pictures and videos, find them using Smart tags, facial recognition, etc.
Features of Photoshop Elements 2021
- Intelligent editing using the Adobe Sensei AI technology
- Automatically colorize, fine-tune face tilts, add motion to static images, adjust facial features, and many more.
- Step-by-step 58 guided edits on moving, scaling, creating modern duotones, merging multiple photos into one, etc.
- Creating and sharing with quote graphics.
- Built-in prints and gift services.
- An automatic organization with auto-tagging and auto-curating features.
- A free trial is available for Photoshop Elements 2021.
Photoshop Elements 2021 Pricing Plans
- Single: Buy it for $99.99 with the complete photo editing software tools. You can upgrade it to the advanced version by paying an additional fee of $79.99.
- Bundle: Buy the bundle, i.e. both Photoshop Elements 2021 and its Premiere version available at $149.99 and save $50.00. You can upgrade it at $119.99.
11. PicMonkey (Web-based, Free)
PicMonkey is one of the most popular Photoshop alternatives in 2020. It offers you an experience similar to that of creating a scrapbook of all the disarrayed pictures and creating the best outcome. Its simple and intuitive interface makes you feel like working on a scrapbook.
Since the PicMonkey is web-based, all you have to do is visit its website, create an account, and start editing images. Either drag a picture you want to edit or start from a blank canvas. Design the way you wish to.
Features of PicMonkey
- Advanced filters and designing tools
- PicMonkey offers YouTube and Instagram designing elements such as mind-blowing thumbnails, cover images, and many more.
- Offers 8000+ graphics, thousands of templates, millions of stock photos, etc. which are vector-based and allows infinite customization.
- Helps in branding and marketing on Facebook, Instagram, etc. offering ‘n’ number of logos, fonts, and color options.
- You can also enjoy premium features for 7 days for free.
PicMonkey Pricing Plans
- Basic: Available at $7.99/month, you can enjoy a 25% rebate if you opt for an annual billing of $72.00. The Basic plan is best suitable for rising creators.
- Pro: The plan is available at $12.99/month or $120.00 per annum if billed annually. The Pro plan offers you an additional benefit of unlimited storage and brand fonts, convenient for growing businesses.
- Team: Your enterprise can switch to the Team plan at $33.99/month or $300.00 annually and enjoy the power of Pro with unlimited cloud storage.
12. inPixio (Windows, Mac, Android, Paid)
inPixio Photo Studio 10 is an image editing software that stands as a genuine Photoshop alternative for Mac and Windows in the market. It is known for its modern yet straightforward UI and works well on mobile phones as well (separate mobile app versions available). It is originally a collection of various software like Photo Editor, Photo Focus, Photo Clip, Photo Eraser, Photo Maximizer, Photo Cutter, etc.
Features of inPixio Photo Studio 10
- Design impressive photomontages
- Has advanced features for background editing
- Offers many options for layers and photo templates
- inPixio Photo Studio 10 allows Photo stitching, red-eye correction, digital retouching, HD image outcome, and color correction, amongst other image editing features.
- Crop, resize, texture overlay, preset effects, adjust contrast and tint, and many more adjustments
- You can also download the trial and get to know before making a decision.
inPixio Photo Studio 10 Pricing Plans
- Free Version is only compatible with Windows PC.
- inPixio Photo Studio 10: This is the basic version of the software which you can buy at $49.99 one time.
- inPixio Photo Studio 10 Professional: This is the Pro version of the application which offers you a free trial as well. Buy this plan at $59.99 only. With this version, you can get access to all the features such as one-click image correction.
13. Polarr (iOS, Android Mac & Windows, Free)
Polarr is a FREE professional and straightforward Photoshop alternative that has plenty of filters and designs to perfect their picture with one click. The Pro version lets you even create filters of your own and save it as a template for later use. The simplicity of the UI makes it convenient for beginners to improve their learning curve with skin editing tools.
Features of Polarr
- The free version offers you adjustment features of light settings, color, image-detail, effects, vignette, curves, toning, grains, HSL, and Lens.
- The Pro version, however, offers you LUT, Denoise, Perspective, Masks, Premium filters, and much more additionally.
- Customization, workstation, 3D touching, orientation, etc.
- Members enjoy the premium benefits of filter sync, overlays, simulation, color mask, premium filters, and batch exports.
Polarr Pricing Plans
- Monthly Plan: You can buy this plan at $3.99/month
- Yearly Plan: Be billed annually by paying $2.49/month. Also, you get the first month free. Hallelujah!
14. PhotoScape X (Windows, Mac, Free & Paid)
PhotoScape X is not only a simple, easy-to-use image editor but also a reliable Photoshop alternative for graphics designers. It offers filters and editing tools for improving image quality and inspiring creativity.
Features of PhotoScape X
- Compatible with Windows 10 (version 1709 and later) and Mac 10.12 and later.
- All-in-one photo editing software that helps in viewing, editing, collaging, creating a GIF, screen capturing and also offers RAW image processing as well as batch editing.
- Also helps in
- Split Image
- Batch Format Change
- Batch Resize, etc.
- Cut Out backgrounds
- PhotoScape X offers 1000+ stickers, 240+ figures, 20+ lens flare, and many more exciting effects and filtering options.
PhotoScape X Pricing Plans
- Free version: Also known as PhotoScape X, is totally free to use with limited features.
- Paid Version: Known as PhotoScape X Pro, you can buy the plan here at $39.99 and enjoy the advanced features.
15. Photo Pos Pro V 3.0 (Windows, Free)
With more than 10 million downloads, Photo Pos Pro V 3.0 is one of the most popular Photoshop alternatives for Windows. It comes with both free and premium subscription offering various tools and graphic designs for image enhancing and editing.
Features of Photo Pos Pro V 3.0
- Easily removes, replaces, and erases backgrounds and unwanted objects
- Offers frames and collage options
- Offers advanced photo effects, text effects, and improves poor pictures
- Supports RAW files
- Extremely intuitive and user-friendly UI
- Has great extension packs, plugins that are updated from time to time.
- Photo Pos Pro V 3.0 offers smart selections, painting & drawing, red-eye corrections, etc.
- It comes to the aid for a professional too with its unending possibilities for Digital Image Enhancement and Computer Graphics.
- Works fine on Windows Vista/ XP/ 7/ 8/ 10; also on Mac after installing Windows Apps emulator.
Photo Pos Pro V 3.0 Pricing Plans
- You can buy the premium edition license at $49.90, presently available at $34.90 only. Pay once in your life, and enjoy the experience of turning digital pictures into stunning artworks.
- You will also get free updates and a one-year Premium support level. You can again move the software from your old computer to another.
We listed for you the top 15 Photoshop alternatives for Windows, Mac, Linux, and other OS along with their features and prices. You can always opt for a free Photoshop alternative for Mac, Windows, or the OS you’re using. You can also try web-based photo editing software like Canva, PicMonkey, and Photopea. If you are a pro, look out for one of the advanced alternatives to Photoshop with suitable attributes that fit your budget as well as your requirements. I hope this article will make your decision easy.