In this article, we will talk about the best Tumblr alternatives, replacements, and competitors to help you choose the right content-sharing platform that content creators are using in 2022.
Tumblr is one such platform that offers a unique combination of socializing as well as blogging. Developed by Verizon, the platform has a wide reach across many countries and is known for its microblogging, popularly known as the short-form blogging approach. Known among influencers and popular bloggers, Tumblr is used to share content in the form of posts, photos, and videos, while allowing other users to create and socialize through their interesting topics.
Nevertheless, Tumblr is free to use, beginner-friendly, and has lots of theme options and app integration functions. It is also popular for its mobile app that is widely similar to its desktop site. However, with the recent controversies, the platform has faced a lot of negative criticisms. Other cons include limited customization, issues with data analytics, lack of ad support, and content ownership belonging to Tumblr. The downstream has therefore led to Tumblr alternatives.
What All to Look For in an Alternative to Tumblr?
- App integration feature
- Mobile app feature
- Freely available or reasonably priced
- Content management
- Membership and subscription feature, etc.
Look at all the factors; you will have to decide which Tumblr competitive is the best for your demands.
Top 15 Tumblr Alternatives of 2022:
WordPress is one of the open-source, free Tumbler alternatives that is common among bloggers and influencers who write. It offers a content management system in PHP and includes a plugin architecture and a ton of themes. It also allows you to create your domain name with your unique design.
Pros of WordPress
- Secure web hosting feature
- Has a built-in SEO
- Offers a live chat and Email Help feature
- The platform allows you to upload photos and videos.
- Lets you reate your website or blog for free.
- You can install it on iOS, Android, and Windows too.
Cons of WordPress
- Fairly complicated if your content includes multiple scripts, etc.
See Also: Best CMS for Website Development
Another Tumblr alternative for sharing content, Reddit is fairly known as the first screen of the Internet. It is an American website that offers a platform containing news, discussions, web content and rating, and posts by members in the form of texts, videos, links, and images. Members dive into their respective interest forums, share their content, and socialize through their shared passion and hobbies. The most popular link with the most number of subscribers is /r/AskReddit, followed by /r/gaming.
Pros of Reddit
- One of its best features is that you can create a subreddit on posts which interests you. People can join in and follow the subreddits.
- The front page of Reddit always shows the hottest, trending topics. You can post, repost, comment, upvote, or even share them on your profile.
- It is one of the best platforms if you wish to promote your business or brand or work towards increasing marketing, readers and influencers, reviewers, sales, and many more.
- You can even opt for paid promotions in order to control the traffic.
Cons of Reddit
- There are allegations that global moderators censor some of the user-submitted posts.
Medium is one of the ideal Tumblr alternatives, especially as a blogging platform. It is known for its high-quality standard write-ups, content with millions of readers from across the globe, page views, traffic, and connectivity with people. Started in 2014, Medium has been on a wild journey reaching every reader through its detailed, descriptive, and yet simple content and information.
Pros of Medium
- Offers scheduling options, and you can view both public and private content.
- allows you to import posts from other social media.
- Offers customized domains.
- Medium is a well-preferred platform for writers, content creators, authors, and readers.
- Known for its huge exposure opportunities offered to publishers.
- Has inbuilt stats and other data analytics to check on viewers and user engagements on a particular post.
Cons of Medium
- You do not get Google Analytics support.
- You cannot find any customization support on Medium.
Ghost is an open-source Tumblr alternative known among writers and content creators. It offers the ideal platform for professional publishing, offering the best open-source tools for independent journalists and writers. It has done business with its free core application around individual bloggers, large groups of editors, and writers. As a publisher, you can build your business, focus on marketing, promote your brand while creating and designing your unique content.
Pros of Ghost
- Offers a wide range of customizable features.
- Has a fast, powerful, and simple dashboard.
- There are no restrictions on sharing content and blogs.
- Offers an inbuilt SEO platform that manages traffic and spaces for content management.
- Provides a 14-days trial period.
- Comes in two different packages:
- Self-hosted package costs $5- $10 per month.
- Web-hosted package costs $19 per month.
Cons of Ghost
- It lacks plugin and setup options.
- Not cost-effective.
Related: Updating WordPress Plugins Safely: Do’s and Don’ts
Pinterest is another American social media platform like Tumblr that lets users share images of whatever interests them, create a collection, a collage, and an assorted profile based on such pictorial content. Viewers and followers follow such content for imagination, ideas, information, and a lot more knowledge. Pinterest is an alternative to Tumblr in terms of its similar visual-driven website platform that lets you post links, images, videos, texts, etc.
Pros of Pinterest
- You can pin your content and let others repin the same on their profile.
- It also offers you a platform to form a group of similar pins, known as boards.
- The platform is used by business owners and also helps in promoting and marketing products online.
- It offers SEO listings and helps to build an online profile as a typical Tumblr alternative.
Cons of Pinterest
- It is not an ideal business platform per se. However, you can promote your ideas and product and use the platform to expand your business.
- You may face copyright issues at times when you post vague pictures and content.
Blogger by Google is an alternative to Tumblr and WordPress. It is popular among bloggers and authors who mainly look for an easy, simple, and SEO-based platform for their written content and publishing. It has a web-based post editor, the same as WordPress, and lets you post up to a hundred posts.
Pros of Blogger
- It offers templates, layouts, and background images to create your unique blog and dashboard.
- Blogger also gives a stat analysis to have a look at your monthly views and traffic sources, for instance.
- There is a complete integration of Google Blogger with that of Google Analytics and Google AdSense.
Cons of Blogger
- You don’t get advanced features to improve the visual of your articles.
- Limited options for SEO optimization.
- Lacks customer support.
- Just like Google+, Blogger can be discontinued anytime.
As an alternative to Tumblr, Soup is a microblogging and social media platform. Much like Tumblr, Soup’s interface too is interactive and offers publishing tools. It also allows you to import content from social platforms such as Reddit and Facebook. You can share your posts from Soup to Facebook automatically with a click on the auto-post option.
Pros of Soup
- Supports a huge community where users interact and collaborate, the same as in Tumblr.
- Has a freemium and a premium version. The former is ad-supportive.
- An ideal Tumblr-like platform for blogging, posting, and reposting content.
- Also, since it has a similar interface as Tumblr, it is easy for you to shift from the latter to Soup.
- Well-known for its incredible customizable features and CSS editing ability.
Cons of Soup
- No customized plugins are available.
- The free tier doesn’t have ad-free support.
- Not cost-effective when it comes to accessing all the tools.
- Not a professional platform as compared to WordPress and Blogger.
See Also: Why Is Magento the Best Platform for eCommerce?
PostHaven is a Tumblr substitute for images, videos, documents, and music posts. It is similar to Tumblr in terms of sharing your content and also protecting it for a lifetime. As a publisher, you are more focused on writing your content, editing, and publishing it safely and without much fuss. PostHaven offers a frictionless platform, easy support for writing, posting, and sharing it with the world. Comments and sharing options are available and easy to use. You only have to focus on your write-up material. Its theme is simple and, therefore, non cluttered with ads and spam.
Pros of PostHaven
- It will last forever- this is what they promise to deliver with their utmost protective and secure platform.
- Your blogs will be password protected.
- You can export your work from PostHaven and save it on your local drive.
- Asks for an upfront price of $5 per month when you are ready to create your blog account.
- The website is minimal and powerful and is best suited for young and fresh users, especially those who are willing to support a developing Tumble-like social platform.
- You can share your posts automatically on other social platforms.
Cons of PostHaven
- There is no free version or free trial period.
- The upfront price is mandatory and, thus, could be bothersome.
Mastodon is a user-friendly, customer-adored Tumblr alternative that offers an open-source and decentralized website. Similar to the blogging platforms, you can also see Mastodon as Twitter-like. It lets you post, look at your views, follow people of interest, get followed, etc. Posting and reposting is also an option.
Pros of Mastdon
- It has a content-rich and immersive website for social media content.
- You can have your audience, grow them through paid promotion activities, and work towards building your brand.
- Its open-source network lets you interact and collaborate with other users and communities easily.
- There are no restrictions on content type.
- Has several hotkeys that allow you to easily post and view others’ posts.
Cons of Mastdon
- It could seem to be a bit cumbersome and confusing.
You May Like: Weebly Alternatives (Best Free Website Builders)
Similar to Tumblr, DeviantArt is an online platform that features photography, digital art, and videography. Here, when you post content, it is referred to as deviations.
Pros of DaviantArt
- As an artist, you can sell your content through DeviantArt in the form of points by purchasing commissions via the commission widget. You can also sell them in the Shop section and get real money in turn.
- The NSFW content is a form of exceptional art created by artists like you on this platform.
- It has content feeds as a true Tumblr alternative.
Cons of DaviantArt
- Hard to rank your content on the top.
- Website admins make shocking changes that you may not like.
- You may see weird stuff because there’s no virtual censorship on the website.
As another alternative to Tumblr, Twitter, too, is a microblogging and social media website. Like Tumblr, Twitter offers a vertical news feed. Your home feed will show posts(Tweets) made by other users. You can tweet, retweet with or without content, comment, follow, like, and be followed too. The only different thing about Twitter is its restricted character limit when you tweet.
Pros of Twitter
- Your home feed will include content tweeted by the account users you follow.
- You can search for a topic using common or trending hashtags.
- It does not place any content restrictions per se. However, the tweets are as per the laws and regulations of the respective nation.
- Tumblr offers app integration features with platforms such as Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Cons of Twitter
- Unlike Tumblr, you may have to search for topics of your interest or belonging to some other variety.
A new blogging platform is on the market. Pillowfort, one among the best 15 alternatives to Tumblr, is where fans and creators align and share their work. You can share your interests, hobbies, and fandoms with a one-time registration fee of $5.
Pros of Pillowfort
- Like Tumblr, Pillowfort, too, is a hybrid of blogging websites and social platforms.
- The interface is much similar to Tumblr, and thus, if you are looking for a smooth transition, Pillowfort will be friendly.
- Unlike Tumblr, you do not have to moderate explicit content. There is no restriction to content type.
Cons of Pillowfort
- A one-time fee of $5 is mandatory to use the beta version.
Also Check: WordPress Plugins to Skyrocket Your Digital Marketing
Another open-source, Tumblr alternative, Dreamwidth, is a free site. It is ideal for you if you are an art lover or have a creative mind. It has a robust community with interactive community channels where you can find and interact with other users. You can even follow them and keep up with their posts.
Pros of Dreamwidth
- Has strong privacy and security controls.
- You can control who all can see and access your artwork by regulating its super-sensitive privacy controls.
- Like Twitter, Tumblr, and PillowFort, Dreamwidth places no explicit content restrictions. You can share anything you like.
- It is a perfect alternative to Tumblr for artists and art lovers.
- It is based upon transparency, open access, and freedom among community and art.
- Encourages content and comment management.
Cons of Dreamwidth
- Some users face payment declining issues.
- You may see display issues with imported icons.
- Integration with thirt-party apps is not smooth.
Squarespace is a paid Tumblr alternative that offers a similar professional website, online store, and portfolio, allowing you to create your individuality and helping you turn ideas into reality. It is an image-based site with great aesthetic content.
Pros of Squarespace
- It is a Tumblr substitute; however, it does not have an inbuilt social networking platform.
- The Squarespace platform is ideal if you are willing to grow your blog into a full-on website.
- You can create your domain name, use inbuilt templates, and begin your journey from scratch.
- Comes with robust SEO tools, supporting analytics, and eCommerce tools.
- Has a mobile application too.
- Best suitable for artists, photographers, designers, and creative minds.
Cons of Squarespace
- Squarespace lacks an auto-save feature.
- It does not have multilingual abilities.
Among the best alternatives to Tumblr, Webflow is a classic content management system-based application software. The SaaS-based web editing platform offers software as a service for web hosting and website building. It lets you build, design, launch, and grow the website.
Pros of Webflow
- Allows professionals to build their customized websites on a completely visual canvas.
- You can integrate your website with your email, CRM, and web domain through Webflow.
- Offers you tons of templates and an intuitive dashboard and UI. Templates are properly designed and mobile optimized.
- Best featured for its design responsive websites.
- Suitable for youngsters and novices, i.e., you need not have the expertise to use Webflow.
- Gives you 99% uptime.
- Despite the cost and ease, Webflow is the best Tumblr alternative owing to its design.
- You can initially start it for free. Later you can add the Site plan or Account plan to unlock additional features.
Cons of Webflow
- There is no free trial.
- You have to pay if you wish to take your site live and enjoy complete eCommerce tools.
- As a Tumblr substitute, Webflow is far advanced and yet simple to use.
- Google Translate Alternatives
- How Do I Find and Recruit iOS Developers?
- Which Is Better for SEO Subdomain or Subdirectory
- Why Would a Business Use a Proxy Server?
With Tumblr facing controversies, it is high time you look out for Tumblr alternatives. You can opt for paid ones or free Tumblr alternatives, whichever suits your need and purpose. Hope this article will help you choose the best one. Also, if you have any suggestions, please use the comment box below.