Is your storage space is also filled up with unnecessary files on your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air? Wondering, how to delete or remove those unnecessary files permanently? Before hitting a delete button, have you ever wondered why it is such a long process, can’t we do it automatically?
While we delete or remove different types of files from our Mac, you might have observed that some files like hidden files, password-protected files, caches, and other files are never deleted. They need extra efforts to be deleted. In this article, we will discuss how you can clean junk easily from your Mac. Additionally, it will help in keeping your Mac optimized as well. So, let’s get started.
4 Ways to Remove Junk Files from Mac without Software:
1. Remove User Cache Files
User’s cache files are those files usually present as app files that are available in your Ma’s storage. However, these are known as temporary files as they are meant to boost the overall performance of the software of your Mac.
Meanwhile, cache data is important to store in Mac because it uses a connection of wired internet. However, if your system will cache the data for a long time, it might accumulate lots of unwanted files on your Mac which will also affect the performance of your Mac. Therefore, it is better to delete those files from your Mac which will also optimize it.
Follow these steps to clean junk files and user cache from your Mac:
- Begin the process, by opening Finder on your Mac.
- Now, press “Command+Shift+G.”
- Then, type the ~/Library/Caches command to the field and enter go.
- Now, you will be able to see all cache files of your Mac from the appeared window.
- After observing all files, press “Command+A” for selecting all files and deleting them. After that, press Command again and click on the folders you wish to remove.
- From the pop window, you will have to manually enter the user name and password to delete them.
2. Remove System Log Files
System log files are files that are stored inside of your Mac’s memory. Every mac has such files as it saves and stores for developers. They are used for diagnosing problems and errors with your Mac and other system applications whenever they occur.
These files are noting but just plain text files which usually do not take more storage. However, deleting these files helps in de-cluttering our mac. Also, it is important to clean system log files manually, to prevent the accidental deleting of important data.
Always, make sure to back up your data for avoiding accidental deleting. Herein, you can also take the help of software like PowerMyMac to prevent such risks (the details of this software are discussed below).
Follow the below-mentioned steps to remove system junk from your Mac:
- Begin the process, by opening Finder on your Mac
- Go to the menu and select “Go to folder“
- Now enter “/var/log/” and select Go
- You will be able to find all system log files from here. Now, select the files you wish to delete by dragging them to the Bin
See Also: 10 Secret Features Hidden in Mac PC
3. Remove User Log Files
Whenever any application or our Mac crashes, we generally submit a bug report. In this process, our system collates some logs and shows them in a report. The point is that user log files do not contain any type of information. They are only created for dealing with app-level things. If you are using the old version of Mac, you might be having various user logs; therefore, it’s time to clean them.
Follow these steps to remove user log files from your Mac:
- Open Finder on your Mac
- Press “Command+Shift_G“
- Type the following command and press Go, “~/Library/Logs“
- Now, you will be able to find system log files, you can manually remove these files
You May Like: Fix Phone Screen Keeps Going Black [Android & iPhone]
4. Remove Language Files
We know that we can set our apps to our preferred language on our Mac. It can be done because of localization and language files. After determining the language of the application, we can delete other language files for cleaning up storage space and for boosting the speed of our Mac. These apps are stored in the application packages.
Follow the steps below to remove language files:
- Begin the process, by opening Finder
- Right-click on any app icon and select “Show Package Contents“
- Now, find the resources and open them.
- Observe that you need to find the folders ending with “Iproj”
- Now, select the language folders and delete them or move them to the Bin
How to Delete Unnecessary Files using PowerMyMac?
PowerMyMac is one of the best tools developed for removing junk from your Mac. It not only cleans up your Mac but also helps in managing the startup items in your Mac. It is an automated software that takes up the duty of cleaning unnecessary files and boosting the speed of your Mac. It helps in cleaning downloads, caches, history, and more.
Follow these steps to remove junk files with the help of PowerMyMac:
- Download PowerMyMac from here
- After downloading, launch the app and begin the process by selecting System Junk from the appeared window
- Tap on Scan
- Wait for a while and let the scanning gets completed, review the details
- You can review the detected files and check the boxes to delete them permanently from your Mac
- At last, hit Clean
See Also: 10 Best MacBook Pro Alternatives
So there you have it, our complete guide on how to delete files from MacBook. If you’re still having trouble after following these steps or want to explore some other methods of file deletion, be sure to leave a comment below and we’ll do our best to help out. In the meantime, happy decluttering!