During the initial years of automation testing, the developers had to undergo a tedious setup process. This is because, during those times, selenium was the only available alternative for the introduction and execution of automation test cases.
So while using Selenium automation testing, the developers had first to install all the relevant software and plugins to initiate the test cases and go through a lot of configuration. This process was not only tedious but also harmed the progress of the testing process.
However, with modern alternatives like Playwright and Cypress, the developers can eliminate this long setup process. So we can easily say that Cypress has become the future of the automation testing market.
With this article, we will discuss some of the modern trends and innovations that have improved the execution of Cypress-based automation test cases. We will also discuss some of the tools and platforms that can help developers further improve automation testing efficiency with Cypress.
What Is Cypress in Testing?
In simple terms, we can define Cypress as a modern one-stop solution for all web-based automation testing requirements. This is because the developers will get access to all the automation testing libraries as soon as they install Cypress on their system. Cypress started to gain immense popularity as soon as it was launched. Back then, it provided native support for only the Google Chrome browser.
Later with further improvements and new additions, Cypress started providing cross-browser testing support for other popular browsers like Electron and Edge. Another primary reason that played a critical role in the popularity of Cypress was the introduction of almost zero setup processes.
Cypress is often considered one of the most welcoming tools for automation testers and developers who are new to this industry. This is because Cypress does not require the developers to go through an extensive learning curve or to have prior knowledge of automation testing practices.
Advantages of Using Cypress
Before we discuss the modern trends and innovations in Cypress-based automation testing, it is very important to have a definite idea about all the benefits of using Cypress in an automation test bench. This idea will help the developers utilize their testing practices’ full potential.
Based on our research and analysis, some of the significant benefits of using Cypress are as follows:
- With the help of Cypress, the developers can eliminate the need for any setup process. This is because Cypress comes preinstalled with all the libraries and plugins that the developers will require in the testing process.
- Cypress provides native support for all test control features. This means that while using Cypress, the developers will have full control over all the test cases that are currently being conducted and those that have already been completed. This process also helps the developers to maintain an activity log.
- The official website of Cypress has a lot of rich documentation that helps the new developers to get started with all the Cypress testing processes. These documentations also have sample test cases explaining all the features available with Cypress.
- The automatic wait and automatic retry are unique features only available with Cypress. Using these features, the developers can remove all forms of code inefficiencies that might be present in the test bench. They also help the developers to ensure that the test cases are dependable and accurate.
- The developers can efficiently start and conduct API testing on web applications using Cypress. API testing ensures that all the web app’s methods, payloads, and URLs are functioning as intended. This is essential to ensure that the application is ready to be released to the end users. While conducting API testing with Cypress, the developers can also use additional commands to witness the execution of these test cases on the native browser window.
Is Cypress the Future for Testing? Check Out the Emerging Trends and Innovations Below
Now that we have finished discussing all the essential knowledge regarding Cypress-based automation testing, it is time to take a brief look at all the modern trends and innovations in the field of Cypress automation testing. Cypress is the go-to tool for automated testing designed with the 21st century in mind.
These innovations and trends have made Cypress a more desirable option in modern testing:
- Currently, the developers prefer to install Cypress with the help of the NPM package installer. This is because the NPM package installer helps to serve two different purposes. Firstly, it can create a separate scaffolding structure containing all the recommended files to get started with Cypress-based automation testing. After successfully installing the Cypress framework, it will also open the Cypress user interface test runner.
- After several upgrades to the Cypress automation testing framework, it supports even more plugins. Plugins are an essential part of the modern automation testing framework as it helps the developers to introduce various additional features and test categories to improve the testing process’s efficiency further. For instance, there are separate plugins for introducing Cypress image snapshot and cucumber preprocessor and integrating various applied tools for cross-browser-based visual validation testing.
- The modern trend of Cypress automation testing focuses on creating the perfect balance between manual and automation testing. This is because certain test cases are almost impossible with automated testing practices. For instance, exploratory testing is a modern form of application testing that focuses on finding specific errors in the application that are usually overlooked by automated test cases. This is because, with exploratory test cases, the developers verify the proper functioning of all the combined web elements. Therefore while using Cypress-based automation testing, the developers can coordinate properly with the automated testbench and the manual testbench.
- Cypress also helps app development companies to spread proper agile methodology trends. Agile methodologies deal with improving the coordination between all the teams in the app development company. By introducing and integrating Agile methodologies, the development, testing, and production teams can work in close coordination. Experts believe that with these testing trends, the developers can massively improve the final quality of the application. This process also helps app development companies quickly debug the application and find critical errors in the earliest stage.
- The modern trends also include improving the debugging processes using Cypress automation testing. This is because the Cypress test framework provides clear error messages that help the developers quickly track the test case or the failed elements. It is a very important practice as it massively improves the production of the application when the developers are working on complex apps. This is because complex apps often have access to thousands of elements simultaneously. So finding these errors by complete manual processes is almost impossible.
Considering all the modern trends and innovations in Cypress-based automation testing that we discussed above, we can easily say that Cypress is on the path of becoming one of the most dominant players in the world of automation testing. It will also continue to improve itself and become more and more user-friendly.
You May Like: 10 Reasons to Use ReactJS for Enterprise App Development
The Function of Platforms and Tools in the Context of Cypress Automation Testing
Although it is very easy to introduce Cypress automation testing, the developers can further use multiple platforms and tools to improve the testing capabilities of their test bench. This is because, with the help of these platforms, the developers can also use additional features for further quality improvement.
One of the major issues in the modern app development market is the maintenance of a physical device bench. A physical device bench is essential as it will help the developers ensure the app’s intended performance on all the target devices.
However, it is an expensive process and a hassle to keep the bench updated. In some instances, the developers take the shortcut and limit their testing process to only simulators and emulators. However, it is worth mentioning that this software cannot replicate the physical specifications of a device. So it will not generate dependable results for the application’s behavior based on certain parameters like low battery, user error, or a broken screen.
The best alternative to this issue is using cloud-based software. This is because, with the help of this software, the developers can conduct similar testing processes over the web. Let us learn the advantages and benefits of integrating cloud testing by shifting our focus towards LambdaTest as the central point.
For the introductory process, we can define LambdaTest as a secure modern platform to initiate and execute cross-browser testing on web apps. Cross-browser testing is often considered the modern market standard for ensuring the highest quality of apps.
This is because, with the help of these testing practices, the developers can ensure intended app performance irrespective of random shifts in browser version, operating system type, or the entire device hardware. This platform also has multiple other features like side-by-side test execution with parallel testing to further improve test efficiency.
LambdaTest can import all the automation test files from various popular frameworks like Cypress, Selenium, and Playwright. While using Cypress test cases, the developers can initiate them on more than 50 browsers side-by-side.
Lastly, integrating real device testing with already existing thousands of simulators and emulators helps the developers generate dependable test results that can be directly integrated into the test bench. LambdaTest also verifies the performance of web apps designed for internal company usage.
Based on all the points discussed in this article, we can easily say that Cypress is the future of automation testing. This is because the evolution of testing frameworks like Cypress continues to justify that automation testing will become one of the most important factors in the future app development market. So the developers and testers need to adopt all the modern automation testing trends and innovations regarding these frameworks.
It is also important for companies to start transitioning into complete automation testing techniques. Practices like these are essential for maintaining a company’s position in the competitive market of application development. It is also a great practice for app development companies to conduct seminars for spreading proper knowledge and data regarding automation practices.